- Andre Almeida is suspended after being sent off in a 5-0 defeat away to Basel in their last Champions League match. Douglas should deputise at right-back.
- Benfica are also expected to be without Jonas, Julio Cesar and Eliseu for the reception of Manchester United.
- Marcos Rojo has travelled with the Manchester United team but Jose Mourinho has confirmed he is two weeks away from returning to first-team action.
- The United manager tends to rest Phil Jones and Antonio Valencia in the Champions League and that could continue here.
- A minor groin injury kept Eric Bailly out of United’s 0-0 draw with Liverpool on Saturday and he is still sidelined for the away side.
- Juan Mata, Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard are all pushing for recalls after starting on the bench against Liverpool.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Michael Carrick, Paul Pogba and Marouane Fellaini are all ruled out for the away side.
Benfica have lost their last 3 matches (UEFA Champions League).
There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 5 of Benfica‘s last 6 games (UEFA Champions League).
There have been over 2.5 goals scored in Man Utd‘s last 3games (UEFA Champions League).
Benfica have conceded at least 2 goals in 5 of their last 6 matches (UEFA Champions League).
Man Utd have scored at least 2 goals in their last 3 matches (UEFA Champions League).
- Benfica would have been earmarked as Manchester United’s hardest match before the group stages but the Portuguese giants have lost both group games this season. They have only won two of their last seven matches in all competitions.
- United have won nine of their opening 11 matches this season and are favourites to top Group A after winning their opening two matches. This is the second of four straight away games for Jose Mourinho’s side and how he rotates his squad will be crucial in maintaining momentum during this period.
- United have struggled away to Benfica in the past but this is the ideal opportunity to beat them and strengthen their hand in the group. Read the rest of this entry