- Russia head coach Stanislav Cherchesov opted against calling Giorgi Jikia up to the national team and that could see Roman Neustadter start in defence.
- Cherchesov can be expected to continue with a three-man defence here.
- Jorge Sampaoli may retain a three-man defence after overcoming Ecuador 3-1 last time out.
- Diego Perotti and Eduardo Salvio may provide the width, while Sergio Aguero could lead the attack, though has competition from Diego Bendetto and Paulo Dybala for a starting spot.
- Russia’s form has been indifferent in recent months, with the World Cup hosts winning just two of their last six. They’ll look to up the ante when they face Argentina this weekend.
- Argentina scraped into the World Cup by the skin of their teeth, with a Lionel Messi inspired performance secure their place in Russia. Jorge Sampaoli will now hope to kickstart a winning run as they gear up for next summer’s competition.
- The hosts will look to put on a show for the supporters, but Argentina may scrape the win here.