- Nico Elvedi returns from a one-match ban to replace Reece Oxford at right-back.
- Mickael Cuisance should replace the suspended Denis Zakaria in central midfield.
- If Christoph Kramer does not recover from problems to his shoulder and neck in time, manager Dieter Hecking has to shift his squad around with options in midfield thin on the ground due to injuries.
- Rick van Drongelen offers a further option at centre-back if manager Markus Gisdol decides to switch to a back-three again and drop one of his attacking players for more defensive stability.
- Albin Ekdal is fully fit again and expected to replace Walace in central midfield.
- André Hahn could rotate back in on the right flank, with Luca Waldschmidt and Tatsuya Ito possibly remaining on the bench.
Hamburghave kept a clean sheet in their last 3 away matches against Borussia M.Gladbach in all competitions.
Hamburghavefailed to win their last 6 away matches (Bundesliga).
- Gladbach have only picked up a single point from their last three matches and dropped out of the European places as a result. They have only won one of their last four home games and struggle with their balance and injury concerns.
- Hamburg have only lost one of their last four Bundesliga games and found more stability in their approach lately. They have to recover from a disappointing 2-1 defeat to Frankfurt on Tuesday, though, and become more clinical in front of the goal again.
- Expect this to be an intense and hard-fought game from the outset.